Friday, July 30, 2021
Helping our patients with addiction
This week, I have seen a number of folks with struggles around addictions.
Addicted to food, alcohol, sex, and gambling to name a few.
They all had something in common.
1. There are shame and guilt.
2. There are difficulties around processing feelings. They are either too “fused” to feelings or too “detached” from feelings. It’s hard for them to create “a healthy space” for uncomfortable feelings.
3. There are relational issues with disconnectedness or loneliness.
4. There are anxiety with fight, flight, or freeze responses.
5. There are strong tendencies to seek “5 sensory experiences” to escape from their uncomfortable inner thoughts and feelings.
To change, one has to help them with all of the above.