- be comfortable in dealing with mental health particularly with depression and anxiety.
- know how to approach and assess suicide risk
- know how to manage suicide risk
- know when to refer to psychiatrists, psychologists for counselling/CBT/group therapy
- know pharmacological treatments for mental health disorder
Friday, August 5, 2011
Mental Health is a Significant Component of the FRACGP Exam
I have an interest in Mental Health and have been actively providing focus psychological counselling (CBT) to patients for greater 10 years. I have set up a blog and network of health professionals @ http://www.ePsychConnect.com/ for the purpose of psychoeducation for patients and professionals alike. I have also put together a group of good self help books which I and some of our psychologists recommend for patients.
The exam does not expect you to provide extensive counselling or CBT for patients but it does expect you to